Moving to a new home requires a lot of coordination and collaboration to get things going smoothly. While you may know what you need to do, you may not know when you need to do it. There is so much to do before moving that it can be difficult to know when to do it all. This is why taking time to create a moving timeline can be a significant benefit when planning your move.
Why is it so important to create a moving timeline?
If you have a good memory, then you can consider a detailed to-do list a waste of precious time. What is the use of a moving schedule when you’ve got it all figured out in your head? The truth is, this memorization strategy may actually work under normal circumstances, but not when moving. Organizing and executing relocation will not be classified as normal. So having a moving checklist with a calendar on your side will be extremely helpful for a number of reasons:
- A weekly checklist will keep you from forgetting to complete an important task amid the chaotic moving preparations;
- A moving checklist will actually help you organize your time in the best possible way, and therefore will prevent the accumulation of moving stress when moving day comes;
- By telling you when to complete each task, your personal moving schedule will keep you on track and thus speed up your preparation, not only by the hour but by the whole day;
- If you create a moving timeline, it will allow you to determine which tasks are more important than others, so you can take care of them first. This feature is known as prioritization and is an integral part of every moving timeline and checklist;
Eight to six weeks before
Decide how you will move
Determine if you will do it yourself or with friends and family who will help you. Or, if you will hire Fort Lauderdale moving and storage to coordinate your actions.
Start researching moving companies
If you do decide to hire professional movers, it is a good idea to start researching them ahead of time and try to book them as soon as possible to help you keep up with your schedule. It is also the right time to decide on what Fort Lauderdale moving services you will need. That will help you set your moving budget and plan accordingly.
Clean your junk
Now is a good time to lighten your load by selling or donating items you don’t need in your new home. Go through your belongings and put anything you don’t want to take with you aside to make it easier.
One month before
Start spreading the news
One month before your move, start notifying utilities, your bank, your insurance provider, and anyone else who needs to know about your move. Be sure to share your new address with anyone who needs to send you important documents.
Anyone who has moved knows how important moving boxes are. Start collecting them about a month before you move so that you have enough time to pack everything. Also, make sure you get enough boxes. You don’t want to end up packing your belongings in bags because you didn’t get enough boxes.
Think about any new furniture
If you need new furniture in a new location, now is the time to start buying and arrange delivery to your new address after you move. This can be useful if you are away from home and don’t want to lug a lot of heavy furniture around the country.
Three weeks before
Start by packing items you know you won’t need right away, such as out-of-season clothing, books, or collectibles. Remember to leave your essentials (toothbrush, coffee maker, toilet paper, medicine, etc.) for the latter. Pack them all in one essential moving box so you don’t have to waste time digging them up after you arrive. Consider buying padlocks or renting safety deposit boxes to keep your valuables safe.
Rent a moving truck
If you decide to move unassisted, you should rent a truck three weeks before the move if you need one. Be sure to get quotes from multiple vendors to get the best deal.
A week before
Clean your old and new place
Giving your old residence a thorough cleaning isn’t just important for new residents – it can help you not lose your cleaning deposit if you’re renting. If you’ve already packed most of your items, it will be much easier to clean them. On the other hand, it will also be easier to tidy up the new location before moving all your belongings to it. If at all possible, come to a new location before moving and make sure everything is clean.
Enjoy the experience
If you’ve hired quality interstate movers, you don’t need to do anything, just oversee their work if you’ve done the rest beforehand. If you’re moving by yourself, you don’t have to worry about anything other than loading the truck, driving to a new location and unloading. Everything else was taken care of before. But, there are still things you could do to make moving day a pleasant experience:
- Go to bed early the night before, charge your phone and try to get a good rest before the inevitable chaos of the moving day comes.
- Get up early on the day of moving so you have enough time to complete your final tasks.
- Take a tour of your home or apartment to make sure nothing (and no one!) is left behind.
- Keep your kids and pets away from the moving epicenter – preferably in a safe room at home, somewhere far from the chaos.
- Make sure that the moving company, and in particular your moving team, has the exact destination address and your telephone number in case something unexpected occurs.
- Take one last walk around the house and see if it is well protected before leaving.
Moving to a new home is a big operation, but as long as you break it down into smaller tasks and schedule them accordingly, it should be much more manageable. If you’re preparing to move in the near future, be sure to create a moving timeline and follow it.